Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas and Mom

This is Mom's 91st Christmas. Because she has aortic stenosis, she is very frail and weak. She still has spirit though. Mom continues to live alone in a small apartment. She qualified for hospice the day after she turned 90. Hospice has been a blessing in many ways for our family.
The nurse visits at least once a week and a home health care aide comes twice a week for about an hour. She helps Mom bathe and does light housekeeping. Mom has frequent health crises and because hospice provides all health care in her home, some of the pressure of caring for Mom has been lifted from my shoulders. I am very grateful for this support.
Mom is not the typical hospice patient. She is not bedridden, but needs lots of support. She tries to take her clothes to the second floor to launder them, but this activity exhausts her. Her sister and I bring them home to launder, but Mom wants to be as independent as she can be and it distresses her to get this kind of help.
We convinced her to stay at our house for a few days over Chrismas. Helping her bathe, I realize how truly frail she is. Right after her shower she went to take a nap. I felt exhausted myself!
This may be Mom's last Christmas. I hope to make it as special as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment